As one of 25 exciting start-ups contained in the GrowthBusiness 2014 Tech Innovators, trans-European business Qwince serves as a boutique allowing customers to secure and enhance their digital lives.
From a university spin-out in Italy, the business has now spawned a European offering and is embracing new market segments every day.
Based in: London and Palermo
Founded in: 2013
No. of employees: 1 in London and 10 in Palermo
Company founder: Gianmarco Troia
Gianmarco Troia is an entrepreneur and founder of Qwince, as well as its Italian subsidiary Securproject, which is now part of the enlarged Qwince business. He has experience in the manufacturing sector, as well as through work as an IT Security specialist, in auditing (DNV) and consulting (Accenture and Deloitte). Troia started his own IT consulting firm and sold it in 2007 to concentrate on building Qwince. The business builder leads overall company vision, technology and product strategy.
Background business profile:
The company’s journey dates back to 2007, when its Italian subsidiary was founded as a spin-off from the University of Palermo. The team then launched Qwince in the UK in 2013 targeting the European market. Qwince enables any organisation to use new technologies to move information quickly, safely and in a cost efficient way.
From a single desk inside the incubator of the University of Palermo in 2007, Qwince has grown to a position where it is accessing international markets. Now headquartered in London, securing the digital life of its customers is still central to what it does.
The move to come to the UK was facilitated through a tie in with UK Trade & Investment (UKTI), which has supported the business as it moved out of its Italian base. Qwince is now looking to engage with business angels who will be able to provide growth capital as well as advice and mentoring.
Company founder Gianmarco Troia has never previously engaged with investors but is excited and positive about how the business and its offering will be received.
With one product already launched, Qwince has another in the pipeline, which it hopes will contribute to a rapid period of new growth for the company. Its first product, Hyla Eyes, serves as a mobile-centric solution able to enrich photos with geographic information and metadata in order to guarantee security and data integrity.
- First product launch: Hyla Eyes
- Started key application development programmes on wearable technologies: (i.e. Vuzix M100 smartglasses, MYO arm-band and NYMI bracelet)
- Prototype of Hyla for Vuzix M100 smartglasses presented by Vuzix C. at Wearable Technology Conference 2014 in London
- Started an international strategic partnership with PressMatrix for digital publishing.
- Second product launch: PopPling
- Wearable technology application release (Hyla on Vuzix M100 smartglasses and MYO arm-band)
- Create business development and R&D department in Tech City
- Target of +40 per cent annual growth by 2015.
Qwince works on the latest mobile and wearable technologies, while leveraging its solid experience in system integration and information security. It works on a set of technologies, services and products that allows its customers to work better, feel free to innovate in a secure environment and grow in a connected world.
- Hyla Eyes – modular data collection and certification system based on mobile devices
- PopPling – platform for brand promotion and event management
- PressMatrix – digital publishing (Germany)
- Techne Security – Security platforms and solutions (Italy)
- Kroll on Track – Data recovery services (Germany)
- European Union Grant
- EDIMEC Enterprise District of Mechatronic Cluster
6-8 Bonhill Street, London EC2A 4BX
Tel: 0207 193 7256